Total Pageviews

Monday, May 2, 2011

The Circus Came to Town

So, I have this bucket list of things I gotta do before I leave Korea.... in 100 days. Go to Jeju, go to Busan, see this thing and that thing and the other thing.... But one thing that was NOT on that list was the Cirque du Soleil, which is in Seoul until the end of this month. When my friend Leona asked me if I wanted to go of course I gave an enthusiastic, "Yeah!" But here's the strange thing. Lately I haven't been getting worked up over anything, whether they be good or bad. I've sort of slipped into this near-apathetic mode of, "Well let's just see how it plays out." About EVERYTHING.

I figure it's a sign of the times, or a phase or something, but I've also been a bit worried. But it makes sense, considering how much of an emotional roller coaster my life has been for the past 8 months. I'm probably just spent. Or maybe, to avoid becoming spent, I've just been reserving my energy for the things that really warrant its use.

WELL.......

Sunday, May 1st, Leona and I got to Jamsil Sports Complex station, went out Exit 6 and made our way to the Jamsil Olympic Stadium.... and the excitement began to build...... and build.... and build! Walking into the big top (It was in a big tent! A real circus!!), I was literally jumping up and down a bit. I'd never seen the Cirque du Soleil, but I'd heard amazing things. I. was. NOT. disappointed!

An angel fell...

and I was transported to the mystical, enchanting, musical, sometimes spooky world of Varekai. The costumes were SO cool. The fillers were hilaaarious. The singers were magical. The dancing was infectious. And the acrobatics. Were. AMAZING!!! They were hypnotic, death-defying, scary-to-watch-but-I-couldn't-look-away. Truly wonderful from start (before the start even) to finish.

After the show Leona and I were super hyper and talking at breakneck speeds, because we'd been so energized just watching the performance, and - not being able to do those stunts ourselves - felt the only way to release all this energy was to talkreallyfastandmakelamejokesandbeoverlyanimated. It was great.

So.... turns out I was just reserving my energy for a deserving moment. And OH BOY did I find it!!

Also, I bought a keychain. Here are the few pictures I took. We weren't allowed to take pictures under the Big Top (I love saying that haha), but I took a couple anyway before and after the show (sssshhh!!).



Not quite excited... yet.


Getting there...



The Big Top!

Haha blue teeth


Grinning so big it distorted my face.

2 comments:

  1. I have been to the Cirque du Soleil in 3 cities and when I heard about it I.GOT.EXCITED. Each show I have been to seems to be better than the last. So I have no doubt that this one will be amazing. I go on the 13th. I would say its kinda cool your first show was in Seoul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on that last bit. And my new goal is to see the Cirque du Soleil in as many cities as possible. Including, of course, Montreal. But since I'll be in Paris this Summer, there's one. There are 3 shows in Toronto... I just might have to see all 3! lol

    ReplyDelete